Position: Assistant Quantity Surveyor
Location: Thames Water Region (Thames Valley)
Salary Guide: £25,000 – £35,000 (DOE) Plus Car Allowance and Excellent Benefits
Our client is a Tier 1 D&B Contractor operating predominately in the water industry, who are delivering a number of water and wastewater non-infrastructure projects for Thames Water and they are recruiting for a Trainee or Assistant Quantity Surveyor to help deliver these projects throughout the Thames Valley region.
This is a great opportunity to work with one of the largest contractors in the UK on a £165m framework. Some previous experience of working on live projects in the construction industry is required and you should be working towards your professional qualifications in Quantity Surveying (RICS, CIOB, ICES) but further training and support will be available to develop your career.
Measurement and valuation of works in progress. Participation in the management of the supply chain and project costs of construction projects to ensure the overall financial success of a project. Responsible for the commercial management of all or part of a project and/or a number of trade packages within the project. Responsibilities will include:
- Ensure the full and proper implementation of the Company’s Procedures.
- Generate/maintain relevant records, accurate filing and support for all commercial functions.
- Ensure the prompt and regular submission of main contract payment applications and subsequent cash collection together with the preparation of sub-contractor payments.
- Prepare draft sub-contracts to the level of responsibility delegated by the individual’s supervisor.
- Monitor sub-contractor performance in consultation with senior staff.
- Participate in pricing variations/design cost control/value engineering.
- Participate in the recording of delays & preparation of any request for extensions of time.
- Participate in the settlement of main contract final accounts.
- Attend meetings with other stakeholders (if so delegated to do),
- Assist senior staff in the compilation of data to monitor individual contract performance on a monthly and quarterly basis.
- Working towards professional accreditation e.g. RICS, CIOB, ICES (desirable);
- Holding a relevant CSCS card (desirable);
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft packages e.g. Excel, Word & PowerPoint;
- Able to read a construction programme and relevance of the critical path;
- Understanding of H&S issues at work;
- Awareness of dispute resolution procedures;
- Adept at understanding construction drawings and able to measure and take off accurately;
- Understanding of the inter-relationship between bills, specifications and drawings;
- Understanding of construction contracts in relation to projects and of the relevance of sub contract terms and conditions;
- Ability to assess and value minor changes/variations in compliance with contract terms;
- Experience of working on a live project, undertaking measurement and valuation functions;
- Experience of managing low risk sub contractors;
- Experience of processing subcontract payments;
- Understanding of the construction industry (Building);
- Basic knowledge of different industry contracts;
- Basic understanding of risk in construction process;
- Basic understanding of the relevance of the construction programme;
- Experience of working for a Main Contractor on Education and Health projects
- Competitive salary
- Car allowance
- 26 days annual leave (with the opportunity to buy or sell up to 3 days holiday)
- Private medical insurance for yourself (with the option to buy family cover)
- Life Assurance
- Defined contribution pension scheme matched up to 8%
- 2 days volunteering opportunities
- Flexible, agile or remote working
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Professional membership fees
- Flexible Benefits scheme which includes the opportunity to purchase benefits such as:
- Critical illness insurance (with option to purchase for your partner)
- Dental Insurance
- Travel insurance
- Bike to work scheme
- Retail vouchers/payroll giving/activity pass for top leisure attractions