Position: Construction Manager – Water
Location: Berkshire & Home Counties
Salary Guide: £70,000 – £75,000 plus 15% Bonus, Car Allowance and Excellent Benefits
Our client is a Principal Contractor operating within the water industry and they are a primary delivery partner to Thames Water on their AMP7 framework. They currently have a requirement for an Construction Manager who will have overall responsibility for the production management team and successful delivery of projects delivered under the framework.
They have committed to working collaboratively with Thames Water, their strategic suppliers and other stakeholders to embed MMC (Modern Methods of Construction), particularly off-site manufacturing and this role will focus on production line and manufacturing thinking so you will work with the wider team to drive efficiencies and opportunities to outperform across the programme.
- Manage a large and multidisciplined team to deliver projects from concept stage to completion across the portfolio of works and Specific responsibilities will include management of; health and safety, design, customer relations, quality, environmental, programme and the cost/value during both pre-production (ECI phase) and production.
- Monitoring the progress of offsite and onsite operations against deadlines and budget limitations with those who directly report to you.
- Create a positive team culture and environment to support improved wellbeing and performance.
- Changing the way in which many people currently work embedding production line thinking and an “offsite first” philosophy.
Safety, Health and Wellbeing: Provide inspirational leadership to deliver Thames Water and the Company’s “Zero Incidents, Zero Harm, Zero Compromise” goals.
Project Management: Understand and put in place the basic cross programme requirements so that we reliably achieve expected project delivery programme, cost and quality performance in a modern manufacturing environment. Effectively and proactively manage change and risk.
Customer Focus: Establish and maintaining trusting and effective relationships with our Thames Water Capital Delivery colleagues and with Operations providing excellent service throughout project delivery.
Digital Engineering: Work with designer partners and the supply chain to optimise the benefits of using digital tools and expertise to integrate our offsite and onsite delivery approach.
Effective Team Management: Manage, support and mentor production team members in their personal development and identify competency gaps and training/mentoring requirements.
Design Collaboration: Strong collaborative approach to integrate our own and supply chain expertise with our designers (Arcadis) expertise to maximise the opportunities for offsite manufacturing.
Supply Chain: Fully integrate and engage with the supply chain to assess and develop their capabilities so that they positively contribute to our delivery capability and capacity.
Develop Sustainable Solutions: Display a sound knowledge of sustainable construction solutions and manage engineering activities that contribute to sustainable development.
Supporting the Production Line approach:
- Work closely with the other members of the Framework Leadership Team, the wider teams and supply chain partners to enhance their production line maturity.
- Ensure that the production line approach is embraced and implement on site including robust programme and logistics management.
- Ensure the project/package teams challenge production line operations, achieving progress against plans and escalating and promptly resolving issues.
- Developing and managing production controls, driving continuous improvement.
- Driving continuous improvement of data analysis and reporting.
Line Management Responsibilities:
- A member of the Framework Leadership Team with specific responsibility for the delivery of the physical works.
- Reports to the Framework Director.
- Direct reports include: Senior Project Managers, Project Managers, Pre-construction Managers, Manufacturing Manager, Commissioning Manager, Project Engineering Manager, Lead Planning Engineer
Skills, Qualifications and Experience:
- Proven and capable team leader with great people management skills and strong analytical, problem-solving and organisational capabilities.
- Experience of both pre-production and production project management in a major project’s environment desirable.
- Able to lead and inspire a diverse team.
- An appreciation of MMC, Lean Construction, Agile Programme Management, Production Thinking and other techniques that assure programme, cost and quality performance.
- Programme focused ensuring our project teams plan and organise resources to deliver on time and in full.
- Commercially astute, leading team members to produce accurate time and cost forecasts.
- BIM/digital experience desirable.
- Professional qualification is desirable.
- SMSTS safety qualification and relevant CSCS card is desirable.