Position: Health & Safety Advisor
Location: Preston (Regular visits to the North West)
Salary Guide: £40,000 – £45,000 (negotiable DOE) plus excellent benefits package
To support Senior members of the H&S Team, regional management teams, construction managers and site teams on the requirements for implementing the health and safety management system. You will support the delivery of SHEQ objectives for the client and work with the operational teams to deliver on key requirements of the SHEQ Strategic Plan.
You will be involved in all stages of the project including design and planning, working with key contract figures to manage health and safety risks appropriately with a focus on risk elimination.
- Support the Head of SHEQ and SHEQ Manager in undertaking their duties.
- Aid the on-going development and maintenance of the ADP SHEQ Strategic Plan in line with corporate practices and contractual obligations.
- Promote exceptional safety standards to the direct and subcontracted work force.
- Provide support to JV project teams on the implementation of H&S guidance and best practice.
- Provide support to Project teams in the development of H&S Plans.
- Assist the Project Teams and employees with the preparation of risk assessments and identification of suitable control measures, as and when required.
- Ensure that all work is carried out in accordance with the Policies and Procedures and applicable Health and Safety Legislation.
- Carry out systematic audits and inspections of construction sites, mobile workplaces, offices and other workplaces to verify compliance with the legislative requirements and compliance with the requirements of the health and safety management systems.
- Prepare reports of audits and inspection reports with findings and actions required.
- Resolution of identified non-conformances.
- Monitor the satisfactory resolution of health and safety issues. Liaise with Operations to ensure actions arising are closed out in a timely manner and feed back into management review meetings
- Prepare monthly reports of key findings and trends.
- Support the Quality Manager to review and validate monthly SHEQ data.
- Investigate accidents and incidents to identify the root cause and learning points.
- Prepare accident / incident investigation reports.
- Support the development and maintenance of the safety-related documentation, e.g. manuals, procedures, guidance notes and forms.
- Support the integration of safety, quality, environmental and other management systems, where appropriate.
- Support the development of safety policies.
- Participate in H&S working groups / forums as required.
- Provide input and review of pre-qualification, tender and SHEQ award submissions.
- Liaise with subcontractors and support the assessment of suppliers and subcontractor’s safety arrangements, as required.
- Attend and participate in Client-led industry best practice forums.
- Promote a positive health and safety culture where employees are encouraged to report unsafe acts
- Implementation of safe working practices by subcontractors.
- Maintaining health and safety records for delegated areas for:
- Accident / incident records
- Maintain a positive and solution-oriented approach to work, providing open and honest feedback.
- Undertake such other duties, training and/or hours of work as may be reasonably required, and which are consistent with the general level of responsibility of this role.
- In all internal and external contact, present a professional and positive image of the department and SMB as well as maintaining mutually constructive, positive and beneficial relationships.
Skills, Experience and Qualifications:
- 4 years’ experience in H&S Role
- Corporate Membership of IOSH
- Strong background in safety management and experience in a similar role
- Experience of managing safety officers and advisors.
- Ability to set SMART objectives and monitor the implementation of these objectives.
- Solid understanding of the requirements of BS OHSAS 18001 / ISO 45001
- 25 days holiday + Bank Holidays
- Contribution Pension scheme
- Life Assurance
- Agile Working
- Health and Private medical Insurance
- Many more benefits including – cycle to work scheme, discounts savings Hub, kids pass etc.