Position: Mechanical Project Engineer – Water
Location: Thames Valley
Salary Guide: £40,000 – £55,000 plus Package and Excellent Benefits
Our client is a Principal Contractor operating within the water industry and they are one of the framework partners to Thames Water working on their AMP7 schemes. They currently have a requirement for a Mechanical Project Engineer to project manage and engineer the mechanical equipment and associated plant for contracts to enable the project to be completed within the budget and time constraints to an overall quality standard.
They have committed to working collaboratively with Thames Water, their strategic suppliers and other stakeholders to embed MMC (Modern Methods of Construction), particularly off-site manufacturing.
- Overall responsibility for working with consultant designer and suppliers to successfully deliver all mechanical requirements across a project portfolio.
- Work with commercial team to procure all off and on site manufactured mechanical requirements particularly focusing on offsite assembly and modularisation.
- Closely monitor the progress of off and onsite activities to ensure delivery against agreed programmes and budgets.
- Contribute to a positive team culture and environment on your projects to support improved wellbeing and performance.
- Responsible for undertaking factory inspections and quality audits and ensuring the highest level of quality and customer satisfaction for all mechanical installations.
- Safety, Health and Wellbeing: Positively contribute to delivering Thames Water and our “Zero Incidents, Zero Harm, Zero Compromise” goals.
- Productivity: Work with others to achieve a step change in productivity which will include implementing robust mechanical design, manufacture and installation quality management to achieve “right first time”.
- Customer Focus: Establish and maintain trusting and effective relationships with Thames Water Operations and other stakeholders, delivering excellent customer service throughout project delivery.
- Develop Sustainable Solutions: Display a sound knowledge of sustainable construction solutions and manage engineering activities that contribute to sustainable development.
- Digital Engineering: Work with consultant designer and the supply chain to optimise the benefits of using digital tools and expertise to integrate our off and on site delivery approach.
- Design Collaboration: Use the BIM model to ensure that mechanical designs and installations fully integrate with the civils and electrical designs.
- Engineering Proposals and Design: Technical expertise in the placement and administration of sub-contracts and material orders relating to mechanical equipment. Preparation for, vetting and approval of supplier’s proposals and designs in accordance with specified requirements.
- Supply Chain: Fully integrate and engage with the supply chain to assess and develop their capabilities so that they positively contribute to our delivery capability and capacity.
- Supervision: Supervise mechanical installation works ensuring health and safety, technical and quality compliance.
- Effective planning: Develop logical and accurate mechanical works programmes and integrate with overall project plan.
- Reporting: Report on mechanical works programme and cost performance and attend project production meetings.
- Quality assurance: Develop quality assurance plans and maintain quality assurance records.
- Outage Management: Work with Thames Water Operations and other stakeholders to meticulously plan and successfully deliver outages.
- Commissioning: Assisting Commissioning Engineers for pre-commissioning mechanical checks.
- Handover Plans and Soft Landings: Contribute to the production of operating and maintenance manuals. Provide Thames Water personnel with operating and maintenance training.
Skills, Qualifications and Experience:
- A high degree of technical knowledge and have relevant mechanical project engineering experience within a manufacturing or construction organisation.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and organisational skills who can multi-task and consistently meet challenging deadlines.
- Commercially astute.
- Experience of both pre-production and production mechanical project engineering desirable.
- Has an appreciation of MMC, Lean Construction, Agile Programme Management, Production Thinking and other techniques that assure programme, cost and quality performance.
- Programme focused with an ability to plan and organise resources both off and on site to deliver on time and in full.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate with a range of people.
- BIM/digital experience is essential.
- Minimum HNC qualified in a mechanical engineering subject desirable.
- IT literacy essential.
- Professional qualification is desirable.
- SMSTS safety qualification and relevant CSCS card is desirable.