Position: Senior Manufacturing & Production Engineer
Salary Guide: £50,000 – £60,000 (DOE) Plus Package
Our client designs and develops innovative sensing, communication and electronics technologies for water network management systems which provide real time remote monitoring for water quality, supply loss measuring and for identifying operational incidents.
They are looking to recruit a Senior Manufacturing and Production Engineer to support the development and prototyping of new products. You will report directly to the R&D Engineering Manager and responsibilities of the role will include:
- Make improvements to existing products and systems to increase efficiency within manufacturing and engineering.
- Determine feasibility, costs, and timescales to developing ideas to completed products.
- Maintain knowledge of ‘cutting edge’ of sensing, communications, and electronics technologies.
- Present and adapt roadmap of hardware development to meet commercial plan.
- Hardware systems architecture design.
- Electronics design; circuit design, component selection, schematic capture, and PCB design.
- Mechanical Design; parts design, material selection and assembly consideration. Preparing 3D models and supporting drawings for machining of parts by subcontract manufacturers.
- DFM (Design for manufacture): Identify suitable fabrication methods and suppliers.
- Oversee and provide technical guidance for all process instructions in test and calibration.
- Specifications and diagrams provided as required to support commercial activities.
- Assist fault finding during assembly, test, and calibration.
- Support scale-up and deskilling of manufacturing, test, and calibration through design improvements, additional hardware resources and automation.
- Provide support to address technical issues in production as they arise in a timely manner to minimise disruption to schedule.
- Determine legal, quality, safety, cost, delivery and documentation requirements for new designs and improvements to existing designs.
- Determine product marking requirements to ensure legal compliance and compliance with standards.
- Develop and implement test schedules of designs to determine their suitability for manufacture.
- Resolve problems and improve processes, methods within manufacturing teams.
- Provide technical support to manufacturing to ensure compliance with all identified requirements.
- Develop and document the assembly and operational processes for new and existing products to maximize efficiency and safety.
- Develop and produce technical and user focused documentation to ensure compliance with legal and process requirements.
- Support material and component and cost down projects by approving alternate parts and suppliers.
- Provide an accurate bill of materials for new and developed products and processes to help with sales quotations.
- Solve problems and improve processes and methods within manufacturing.
Skills, Qualifications & Experience:
- Engineering qualification, preferably degree in Electronic Engineering, Cybernetics or Control Engineering, Electronics or Electrochemistry
- Knowledge of the processes involved in the treatment and distribution of potable water to customers in the UK and worldwide. Appreciation of the issues faced by the industry with water quality, leakage, and events.
- Advanced digital microprocessor system design, analogue design, low-power systems design. Schematic capture, multilayer PCB layout within Altium. Design for EMC compliance.
- Design of RF communications systems; module selection, RF signal integrity design, antenna theory. Knowledge of mobile network operation, 2G/3G/4G technologies. SIM cards and network protocols.
- Extensive 3D CAD experience (Solid Edge) to design mechanical parts to fulfil requirements of hardware specification. Design of mechanisms, enclosures and high pressure dynamic seals. Ergonomic and aesthetic considerations in design.
- Knowledge of relevant fabrication techniques; turned parts, machined parts, investment casting, sheet metal parts. Experience of selecting appropriate surface finishes for harsh environments. Assembly methods including in depth knowledge of adhesive selection and use.
- Electrochemistry – Working knowledge of methods for amperometric electrochemical sensing; operating principles, limitations, and potential further uses. Understanding of sensor electrodes (eg reference, pH ORP), their operating principles, fabrication techniques, failure modes.
- Design of electrical systems, component selection, pump and VFD selection, electrical safety considerations.
- Process Automation – Computerised automation of test / calibration processes; design of hardware and software to replace manual steps. Capturing data to database, numerical pass / fail determination.
- Expertise in the design and fabrication processes of thin film devices using semiconductor processing technologies.